To read this blog chronologically you’ll need to click the links in date order "old posts" on the right below the picture. Start with 'Dec 16'.

The most recent posts in this blog are at the top. Just below here.

Thursday 14 March 2019

Neutropenic sepsis

12.00 midnight.
The doctor has looked at my blood test results and says I now qualify as “Neutropenic sepsis”.   I said to the doctor that i thought i knew what both those words meant and that they sounded ‘bad’ but could she clarify that neutropenic means a very low white blood count and thus, immune system and sepsis meant blood poisoning.  She said yes but that it wasn’t confirmed. The results show a very low white blood count and although she stressed, THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF BACTERIA IN THE BLOOD, they will treat me with a drip of antibacterial stuff as a preventative measure.  This prevents sepsis but doesn't actually make me better. To the question of what I could do to makes myself better, she said just be yourself eat well and drink lots of water and keep spirits up. I'm doing all three of those at the moment although to be perfectly honest there is a certain conflict between keeping my spirits up and ‘neutropenic sepsis’ along with everything else which begins with ‘immuno’.  I’m beginning to think that this is quite a serious  The drip is the same ball and chain as the chemo but she promised me it would be much quicker.

1,00 am: Moved right across the hospital to Loxley ward (near maternity!) for an hour’s drip of antibiotics.
2.15: end of antibiotics
5.am:  observations 


As I have done throughout, I feel fine - a bit tired of course but nothing more that from being woken up every 2 minutes – i.e., not ill-tired or lethargic. Just human.

No comments:

Post a Comment